Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Bring Me Summer

This time of year is such a tease. The other day it was colder than Cootie Brown's cousin (yeah, I'm Southern and say crazy things. What about it?) and I was keeping warm by eating the best soup ever. Being happy with the minute more of sunlight that we get a day...


And then today is was 67 as the high and sunny as all get out. Why would that happen? Why were things all lush today and birds signing?

photos by me.

Why today when tomorrow will have a high of 43? Yes, 43. Winter, I hate you and want you to go back where you came from. You are no good and NOBODY likes a tease.

UPDATE:
As requested here's the recipe... It's from my cookbook "Perfect Mexican"

Ingredients
Serves 4

6 1/4 cups/1.5 litres chicken stock
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1-2 dried chipotle chiles (I'm too lady to find these so I use chipotle chiles in sauce and chop them up)
1 avocado
lime or lemon juice for tossing
3-5 scallions, thinly sliced ( I use 5)
12-14 oz cooked chicken breast meat, torn or cut into shreds
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (a must)

Place the stock in a large, heavy-bottom pan with the garlic and chiles and bring to a boil
Meanwhile, cut the avocado in half around the pit.
Twist apart, then remove the pit with knife. Carefully peel off the skin, dice the flesh and toss in lime juice to prevent discoloration.
Arrange the scallions, chicken, avocado, and cilantro in the bottom of four soup bowls or in a large serving bowl.
Ladle hot stock over and serve with lime wedges and handful of tortilla chips if wished (we usually just eat warmed flour tortillas).

Best part is... this soup is even better as left overs. We just throw everything together, throw it in the fridge and eat it the next day for lunch. The avocados aren't even brown the next day.

p.s ALL pictures on this blog are taken by me unless otherwise told.

1 comment:

  1. This weather IS a tease ... post the recipe for that soup for us ... I'll take your word that it's yummy

    ReplyDelete