I learned recently that mine was the only birth that my father was in the room for. I always knew I was his favorite. Now I have proof. I think almost immediately upon birth one could tell that I've got my mother's smile, eyes, and attitude and I've got my father's ears, nose, and stubbornness (I was born 2 weeks past my due date!).
When we were little my mom would cook two veggies because it was inevitable that one of the four hated something the others loved. We had hoogie nights, watched movies with a big bowl of popcorn, ate out at fancy restaurants so that we could experience new things, played at parks, danced, laughed, argued, apologized. I thought everyone had these things but I'm learning otherwise. My dad taught us what the different color reflectors meant on the roads, the name of every tool he owned, how to check the air in tires and how to check the oil. They taught us how to be self-sufficient. For that I am forever grateful to them.
And along with 50% of married couples they divorced. You wanna see an incredibly amazing woman? Look no further than a woman raising kids on her own. I have no idea how she did it but she did. She kept us grounded, safe, fed. I've watched her dance in the living room with my niece and nephews. I've watched her overcome a million and one things and still find a way to laugh out loud and love life. When people say they hope they never become their mother I think it's foolish. Not that I would ever wish my Cruz away, but I'd give anything to fill those shoes of hers. To be who she was when I was growing up. Who she is today. Who she will be tomorrow.The rest is history. They've made a life with my step parents and manage to get along and even joke with one another when in the same room now. They continue to teach us when we'll listen and they both would give their last penny to help us. Of course they have faults, some even major, but I wouldn't trade them out for any other models.
And tonight's pic... a little progress on our little chair that I spoke about here and here. Here's a sneak peak.
i just inhaled much love on that one ... it's heavy.
ReplyDeleteNaomi you're a great writer there doll....it really must run in the fam with you guys...I'm just fortunate to know you lovelies and share happy times with y'all :)
ReplyDelete