Monday, September 27, 2010

Under Lock and Key

I feel like a complete poser.

I want to say something witty or different than probably 75% of the bloggers out there that took the 30 day challenge, but when it comes down to it. I'm just like them. My first love came in a neat little package of pink, yellow, purple, green and blue. Writing was the first challenge I took on. This picture is literally my first journal complete with a big "Naomi's eyes only" written on the back in black ink. And don't knock the journal! I was 10 and Lisa Frank could do NO wrong. Girl had skills when it came to stickers, journals, and all things girlie.

Journaling was blogging before a blog was a blog. So really I've been a blogger my entire life. Okay, maybe not. First entry was skillfully my profile. July 18, 1992 (I'm 10 mind you!)


Favorite Color: pink, purple
Fav Food: French Fries
Favorite Song... waaaait for it... Giving Him Something He Can Feel!!! MOM what were you thinking letting us listen to that music?!?! We had an entire dance routine!
Favorite Group - En Vogue
Favorite Movie: My Girl & Imitation of Life (pretty deep for a 10 year old!)
Favorite Game: Bloody Mary (Pretty sure TOJ made this one up and I think it'd still be fun today)
Favorite Pastime: The summers with all my sisters (awww. I know right?!)

I could go on like that for an entire page. So many things to forget, I wanted to remember them all. I did this list every year until I was about 15. I'm sad that I didn't keep it up. I can look back and can tell almost every conversation I had with my mother (oh the teenage angst), visits at my grandmother while still young, while she was sick, and remembering every detail of the day she passed away, true loves that turned out to be false. And then there are the biggies... watching my sister, my mom graduate,
birth of children, hanging out with the hubs when he was just a friend, growing up. Some of these things I'd remember I suppose. But writing it all down, getting bad things out of my head, remembering the fun days that disappear in our memories as quickly as they came - it's going to come in handy in 20 years.

I still journal because let's face it... blogging every little thing is just narcissistic and annoying. It's that one person that updates their Facebook every minute about nothing. I don't need to know everything so I'm guessing you don't either. BUT I am more than willing to dish the dirt. And I promise I'll find something better than the time TOJ got detention in Mrs. Turner's class (March '93) for chewing gum in class and how she was mad at her friend Durant for having a bag of chips and not getting busted. When I say I wrote everything... I mean everything.

2 comments:

  1. LOL - FUNN-NY ... gotta love journals ... i used to catelog pimples ... like, were they on the payroll or something??? ... and yes your teenage angst was one for the ages ... DRA-MA ;) ... I kept mine nice and depressing ala Daria lol

    ReplyDelete